**** DONE: Mustang Mk III of No. 315 (Polish) Squadron RAF, Sqn Ldr E.Horbaczewski

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks for your comments and for taking interest guys. Well, work on the Mustang is progressing slowly but steadily. Currently working on penciling panel lines. Hope to post new photos soon.

For now, I have a question. I've read on more then one occasion on this forum how frames on Malcolm hood fitted on the P-51 should be left unpainted. However, looking at the profile which I use as a reference for this build the frames on the hood are in fact painted. So far, I've painted the "bottom" part of the hood leaving front and rear clear. But now I wonder what is correct, should I paint the rest of the frames as well or not?

Attachments

• Copy of 007.jpg
    Copy of 007.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 132
Forget what the profiles show Igor, during WW2, the British-made 'Malcolm' hood fitted to both RAF and USAAF P51's did not have vertical frames, only the lower frame for the external runners. The pic which Glenn posted, of a restored P51, does have a thin frame, but this is almost certainly due to the hood being a modern reproduction, possibly moulded differently, and the frame is probably for 'insurance', and is more of a finishing 'trim' than a reinforcing frame.
The actual hood had what is sometimes called a 'rolled edge', where the 'Perspex' is moulded thicker than the rest of the hood, for strength. I can confirm this, as I had a real hood in my possesion a few years ago, before it was forwarded to it's present keeper, and the ends were 'bare', with no evidence of there ever being any frames.
Look closely at the front of the hood in this shot, posted earlier by Antoni - you'll see it is 'bare' Perspex.

Attachments

• P51B canopy close up.jpg
    P51B canopy close up.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 132
I stand corrected Terry, I'll have to agree with you now that I've seen your picture. The pictures I posted were pictures of a present day warbird and did probably have a reproduction canopy installed.:oops:

Thanks Terry for clearing this out. I must have missed this detailed picture among others Antoni posted. (I really should check my own threads more closely.) Good thing I've painted only the lower (horizontal) frame of the hood and left all vertical parts clear as it obviously should be. So, I'll leave it at that and proceed with working on other parts.

Also, thank you Glenn for posting those nice pictures of restored P-51.

No problem Glenn. If I had a P51B/C, and it meant getting a canopy made which had to have a thin frame, I don't think I'd be complaining about such a relatively small detail!!
I believe, and Antoni also mentioned this, that one of the reasons for the lack of vertical frames was to allow the canopy to shatter, or break in two, if it hit the fin after being jettisoned, probably to lessen any chance of it colliding with the pilot following it, and causing injury/unconciousness. Also, as the B/C version originally had a substantially framed, hinged canopy, and the rails for the sliding 'Malcolm' hood had to be mounted semi-externally, this would probably have caused difficulties (for ease of production) fitting a frame which would match, and seal against, the windshield frame. The 'rolled edge', on the other hand, could be moulded to 'slot' into the mating surface of the windshield frame quite easily.
EDIT: Crossing posts - no problem Igor, glad to help. Did you see the PM about the MiG kits?

There are only rare examples of beading of the Malcolm Hood being painted. It is described as either being unpolished or frosted.

The reason why it was designed to break cleanly in two like a clam shell, is I think, to prevent it badly damaging the tail and sending the aircraft out of control.

There is a detailed story of the hood here, particularly on page 2.

Malcolm Hood question.

Good stuff again Antoni! The hood I had for a short time exhibited what could be described as 'frosting' on the rolled edges of the front and rear. It was virtually double the thickness of the 'blown' area of the hood, obviously due to the moulding of the 'rolling' process, and very slightly different in 'colour', being a sort of 'misty' pale cream-yellow, not unlike the rear of a Hunter canopy.

Current status of the build...

Attachments

• 5_01.jpg
    5_01.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 149
  • 5_02.jpg
    5_02.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 157
Thanks mates. It's appreciated.

(Pictures are little dark though. Don't know why, but it appears I'm unable to make a decent pictures with my digital camera lately. It's always too dark, or blurry or both! Strangely enough it happens only when I take pictures of my models. Otherwise, photos are of good quality... )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back