Next Group Build Commonwealth/Night fighter

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

We can start with the fact the painting you show is Robert Taylor's "Spitfires over Darwin" depicting a flight of Mk VIIIs from No 1 Wing RAAF. The unit was led by Clive Caldwell.

I'm sure others will chime in.

An amaze-ing place this internet. BTW I do have a copy of Taylors print.

Sqn Ldr Raymond Edward Thorold-Smith, DFC. 5.5 kills BoB Spitfire ace. Took part in defending Darwin as CO of 452 Sqn, flew plane "D" as it was reassigned to Australias defence of Darwin. Shot down, I believe over Port Arthur, his plane found many years later. Manly NSW, 6"3", surf life saving club, first grade rugby, rep for Aus twice, accepted to study medicine at the University of Sydney 1933.

There yah go.....

Attachments

• Thorold-Smith2.JPG
    Thorold-Smith2.JPG
    13.7 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:
An amaze-ing place this internet. BTW I do have a copy of Taylors print.

Sqn Ldr Raymond Edward Thorold-Smith, DFC. 5.5 kills BoB Spitfire ace. Took part in defending Darwin as CO of 452 Sqn, flew plane "D" as it was reassigned to Australias defence of Darwin. Shot down, I believe over Port Arthur, his plane found many years later. Manly NSW, 6"3", surf life saving club, first grade rugby, rep for Aus twice, accepted to study medicine at the University of Sydney 1933.

There yah go.....

Nice choice mate. BS231 only flew 7 operational sorties with 452 sqn over Darwin before being shot down on 15 March 43. S/L Thorold-Smith was the pilot on all seven sorties.
HTH

Thanks for the additional info Cat......
I couldn't believe I found him as quickly as I did. Anxious to build this one too.

How bout a couple others members doing the other aircraft in the print?
A sub-group on the GB!

Last edited:
Not sure yet Jan. AE-B was flown by Ian Keltie. This plane eventually became Johnnie Johnson's mount JE-J. GC-K is George Keefer's mount when he flew as Leader of 126 Wing.

I'll try and zcan a couple of pics of EN398 with popeye but I'm reluctant to hurt the spine of my book if not I'll photograph them . An excellent ref for Canadian Spits is Robert Bracken 2 volumes called Spitfire The Canadians shpuld be able to grab at your Library I only have vol 2

Here's another possibility which I may add to my Wirraway. Encore just released a C-45 in 1/72 which is an old PM kit updated with resin and PE. Squadron's got them now and the box has decals for an Australian bird. I bought two of these because they looked so nice...

Squadron.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back