**** DONE: 1/48 Consolidated PBY-5 Catalina Commonwealth GB.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Found time to do a bit more work on the Cat today in between working on the airlines.

101122-1A.jpg

Both wheel bays now filled in and filed back, may give them a coat of paint just to check out the join before progressing much further.

101122-1B.jpg

A close up of the patchwork showing the new riveting.

101122-1C.jpg

Here the hawser cable has been removed. Not sure about making the hatch for it though, haven't got a collapsible anchor.....................

101122-1E.jpg

Picture complements of CJ above.

101122-1D.jpg

Making a start on the nose wheel bay, one side has been scraped away and the small indentations (red arrow) are the wheel bay water vents which were only fitted once a wheel bay was fitted.

In addition, 2 pages from the Erection and Maintenance Manual :

x03910.jpg

When I wrote 'hawser', I was joking about the tremendous section of the rope on the model...

x04110.jpg

You can see, to the left of the following picture, one of the fittings (2) for the lock pins (6) on the hull chine
concou11.jpg

Cheers.

Nice work indeed Vic, and yet more good stuff from JC.
Hmm, I wonder what the landing drills were?
"Flaps 30, cowl flaps open"
"Twenty five feet, throttles to quarter"
"Flare out - drop anchor" !!!!

Thanks for the comments guys as always, much appreciated.:p :p

More good stuff JC, I can't thank you enough. Some of this info makes me wonder how far should I try and go with the detail of the model and with what you have provided, it certainly gives food for though. In respect of the hawser, it had always been my intention to replace it with something more realistic, so rest easy my friend, it would have been removed anyway.
:D :D :D

Thanks Andy and the rivets had to be done by hand using a rivet gauge as I don't have a ponce wheel, it only took about 45 minutes using the gauge and a bit of tape to hold it on line.

Hello, Vic.
Pleased to help you and anyone in need of doc.
I have hundreds of pictures and some usefull manuals (4Go in my computer about PBYs).
I dream in full scale.

Hello, Vic.
Pleased to help you and anyone in need of doc.
I have hundreds of pictures and some usefull manuals (4Go in my computer about PBYs).
I dream in full scale.

JC, you and I have the same dream for if I could own any aircraft, it would be the PBY-5 Catalina and as I am not a pilot, I would have to build a huge pond to float it in. My thanks again for all that lovely information. :D :D :D

Thanks Bill and David, not much progress since, have a lot of huge injection marks on the inside of the fuselage to remove, many stuck in places where if looking close through canopies ands such would stick out like dog you know what.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back