**** DONE: 1/48 Consolidated PBY-5 Catalina Commonwealth GB.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks guys. Not much progress to report though I'm working on an additional bulkhead having carved out and spruced up the door today, took about 3 hours. Hope to be able to put some detail on the bulkhead tomorrow and maybe take some pic's.

Am also mulling over the best way to open up a couple of hatch covers so the more interior can be seen and the hatch can still be used. Am open to suggestions on the best way to do this.

show us a pic of the said hatches Vic...

Here you go Wayne, hope you got something for me.

This set of shots show the starboard side roof hatch that's behind the cockpit just in front of the central wing pylon (for want of a better word). The hatch is not that well defined by panel lines so I have outlined it in pic 2 and then pencilled in the shallow lines in the next couple of shots. I did try scoring the line with a sewing needle but gave up after a couple of scratches particularly as I also slipped on the second scratch.

101209-A1.jpg

101209-A2.jpg

101209-A3.jpg

101209-A4.jpg

This is the anchor housing hatch which opens out to the bomb aimer compartment. I'm still toying with the idea of having an anchor and would like the hatch open just to let some light in.

101209-A5.jpg

As for today's progress, the additional bulkhead is taking shape but was interrupted as I was dragged out to do some Christmas shopping.

101209-A6.jpg

101209-A7.jpg

Nice work on the bulkhead Vic, very impressive! As for the hatches, the easiest way to open them up is to drill a series of small holes, inside the pencil or etched lines, then cut along the holes to remove the plastic. The opening can then be filed to shape, and the edges thinned by sanding or shaving. The hatch covers can very easily be made from thin plastic card, by using the openings to draw a template, transferring this to the plastic card. Cut to shape and gently bend to form the curves, between finger and thumb.

Those bulkheads look great Vic. Nice work.

Thank you very much gentlemen as always much appreciated. A little more progress today on the bulkhead but had to take a trip to the hobby shop today which killed a few hours of modelling, never the less, hope to get more done tomorrow and post pics.

Thanks also Terry for the idea, I've been toying with something like that but am also looking at just four very small holes, one on each corner and then with a very fine small saw, I have a number and not including the razor saw, I can cut along the panel recess line. We will see how it goes when the time comes and naturally I will show progress for the benefit of others.

Yep, Terry has nailed it for you Vic....based on what you have been up to lately with your great work...cutting out that hatch opening and making a new cover should be a simple endeavour mate!

How do you do That?????????????????

Bill, I'll send you an email explaining how.:p :p :p

Once again, thank you gentlemen and after an intensive day at the workbench, one scratch built bulkhead completed with the exception of a little paint. As you can see I've used a number of bits and bobs that have come to hand, bits from old printed circuit boards, varying sizes of electric wire or just the outer casing and of course, plenty of Evergreen and odds from the spares box. In all I think I've spent about 10 hours working on it over several days. Hopefully some of it will be visible through the cockpit.

101211-1A.jpg

101211-1B.jpg

101211-1C.jpg

Before venturing onto improving the kit bulkheads, I decided to attack one of the hatches that I would like opened. Follows the step by step process I employed and I didn't need to drill any holes Terry, but again thanks again for the guidance.

Some of the initial tools employed.

101211-2A.jpg

The two small saws being used. As you can see both have fine teeth on the concave and one has a deeper concave than the other. The shallow one also has a few teeth curving round the narrow end, this helps to cut gently into the plastic. The other is better for cutting into corners once one has cut through the plastic.

101211-2B.jpg

The first cut through as seen from outside and inside. Note the Tamiya masking covering the teeth at the back end of the saw, this prevents you from making unwanted saw marks where you don't want them and I use Tamiya as normal masking leaves a sticky film after removal. The third picture shows the deeper concave saw cutting into the corner.

101211-2C.jpg

101211-2D.jpg

101211-2E.jpg

The cuts in progress, the first two along the top and on one side and then all the cuts in straight lines.

101211-2F.jpg

101211-2G.jpg

A couple of the tools being used to cut out the round corners and the scoring of the corners.

101211-2H.jpg

101211-2I.jpg

101211-2J.jpg

Here we have it, one rough cut hatch cover and the cleaned up hatch.

101211-2K.jpg

101211-2L.jpg

Next up I think I will attack the anchor, need to know I have one before I open up that hatch.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back