**** DONE: 1/48 Polikarpov I-16 Type 18 - Winter War / Eastern Front WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks for the link Wojtek, a very intricate build. So, I'll open a hole where I indicated in the above photo and the window isn't gonna happen.

Geo.

And another scheme...

i-16 komory podw.jpg

Nice to see progress on your I-16, George! Bravo on getting into the details of the retraction cable. You will enjoy attaching the landing gear and doors... and I don't mean that sarcastically. They really do fit together nicely, in my experience.

Thanks John, might be a while me thinks. In post #74 I showed the mismatch at the front of the fuselage(posted another shot below). My first thought was to put a spreader bar diagonally to put most of the force on the port side. For the most part this worked but also lifted the starboard side creating a largish gap. Would I be better off doing this, glue some braces across the seam(pink) and then reverse it and glue braces across the right side (blue)? I've posted the a clean photo below this one so that if anyone has other ideas, they can copy it and use it. I'm going halt things until I get it figured.

0111.jpg
011.JPG

Geo

I'd line up and glue the starboard seam first. When fully cured, I'd do your brace thing to line up the port seam and glue it.

Thank you Andy, I just went down and did that and I'll let it sit over night. It is a bit springy so I'll glue some scrap plastic on the inside to reinforce the seam. Which sort of glue would give me the best chance at preventing this from popping apart: tube, liquid, or super glue.

112.JPG

Geo

Thanks Wayne. Karl, the problem right now is I can't get the cowl to fit the fuselage, which seem to be more oval than round though I haven't got the port side glued yet.

Geo

Seeing as Vic posted the idyllic view outside his window, here's what I'm dealing with right now...

005.JPG

...new sidewalk and driveway entrance, which disappears every spring. It wouldn't be too bad but SWMBO works the graveyard shift. Anyhoo...I digress. Spreader bar in and waiting for the glue to dry.

001.JPG

The yellow line indicates the next area of concern: a test fit shows the bottom lip, this hinders the fit of the cowling to the fuselage.

Geo

People here are complaining about the sun and the heat! It's a typical hot late summer day here in Southern California.

I didn't have much of an issue on the fit between the forward fuselage/wing joint... I was able to use tape to hold the seam together while the glue dried. The cowling fit was VERY tight on mine. It took some fiddling to get it to "snap" in the correct orientation with the key slot on the front edge of the fuselage but once it did, it was secure and I didn't use glue .

My, there was a lot of stiff to digest since I last looked in, wouldn't say I have the idyllic view though Geo, that frigging tree and a couple on the left side always get in the way of our good sunsets. I suppose I'm lucky we don't have a sky scraper over the road.

Build is coming along nice though, liking the way your thinking your builds through.

Thanks for popping in guys. 10CM :shock:, ours was just an harbinger of things to come. As I suspected, the front of the fuselage is oval, 1mm higher,soooooo, once things have set, I'll see it can be force out a tad.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back