**** DONE: 1/48 Tamiya Heinkel He-219 WNr 290123 of 1/NJG 1 Nightfighter GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Bl**dy good so far Andy. Reminded me of when I did my Bf110G - I was cross-eyed after a bit!
You might find running at a relatively low pressure - around 15 psi - and with the 'brush on it's finest setting will help. I normally hold the tip close to the job, probably no more than about 8mm, spraying a line less than 1mm wide. It's much easier to build up a thin line than get rid of a thicker one!

Thanks guys.

Terry, I was pretty low on pressure, between 10 and 15 and yes, I was holding very close. The difficulty I found was the continuous movement and getting a consistent line as I was moving.

I sanded down the tail planes and repainted with 75. I'll give the squiggles another go there tomorrow night.

It looks pretty good to me Andy.I know what you mean about cleaning the tip over and over aggravating.Not sure if its paint not thin enough? or pressure to low?or a combination?Like Wayne said practice.Whats the airbrush?

Thanks guys.

Kevin, thanks for the comments. The paint was too thin to start with - about 50/50. I added a little paint and it was mostly going OK. The tail section is where it seemed to thin.

The airbrush is an Iwata HP-C Plus and is capable of doing pencil-thin lines, although that's not the look I was aiming for. After I get the tail redone tonight, I should be good to go on to the rest of the camo.

Andy you deserve a standing ovation for even trying to tackle this ,and you did a great job. Those few problem areas should be an easy fix after seeing how well you handled the majority of it.

Nice words guys, thanks. I appreciate it.

Right now I feel like chucking the works in the bin. I redid the tail but the airbrush was being a complete a$$, not spraying evenly at all. Looks no better than the first go.

I need to calm down and think about it again tomorrow.

happy0034.gif

Oh my G..................I do think you undersell yourself Andy, that is a brilliant effort and worthy of much praise. I was only reading yesterday that a good paint/thinners ratio was 60/40, but then again this I think would depend on the paint used and in many cases particularly with Humbrol, the thickness of the original paint.

Well done mate and if I read right that it's your first time effort at the squiggles, it's truly inspirational.

Thanks Vic. It's actually my second attempt. My "White Y" Me-262 in the Heavy Hitters GB was my first but that one had less contrast between the colours used so the mistakes weren't as evident.

I'll live with the topside as is now but it'll need a bit of a light sanding to even things out a bit and remove a fair number of splatters and overspray.

Below are progress pics from yesterday and after another long session of airbrushing tonight.

Pic 1 Masking the canopy pieces. No Eduard masks here, just Tamiya tape cut to shape and odds and ends for infill masks. The inside of the glazing is also masked so I don't get spray coming in behind and fouling the glazing which is beautifully done by Tamiya. There's no need for a dip in Future - they're that clear.

Pic 2 The undersides and sides have been sprayed with black (actually flat black cut about 30% with some gray to get a bit of a faded look. The demarcations between the black and RLM 75 are free had which was a major pain around the engine nacelles, especially on the inboard faces as it was hard to get the brush in tight with everything interfering with the fuselage. All in all, it worked out well and I'm happy with this coat. The wheel wells were masked for this session and the masks are already removed here.

Pic 3 Overall shot of the topside. Landing gear is now glued in after having flattened the tires a bit and the model will sit upright overnight to allow the glue to cure. The propellers and radiator cowls are just loosely fit for the picture. I'll leave these off until the end. Oops, forgot to remove the mask on the landing light.

Thanks everyone for your support.

Attachments

• 110214 Canopy Masked.jpg
    110214 Canopy Masked.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 116
  • 110215 Black Undersides.jpg
    110215 Black Undersides.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 123
  • 110215 Top with Black Sides.jpg
    110215 Top with Black Sides.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 120

Users who are viewing this thread