**** DONE: 1/48 Tamiya Heinkel He-219 WNr 290123 of 1/NJG 1 Nightfighter GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Some Nice work Andy and attention there on catching the manufactures goofs.I also hopefully filed and lock that technique on the spinner :thumbleft: Cheers

Thanks Kevin.

Nearing the time for painting with addition of the last few detail parts.

The He-219 had a wing heating system and there were small exhaust openings for the rear heater located near the tail section that Tamiya omitted. The pic below shows the drilled out opening I made with a small drill slanted to the surface.

110211 Heater Exhaust.jpg

The trim tab actuators were finished off. The one on the elevator, mentioned before, was cut and the actuator rod was added from sprue. The one on the rudder, which was not molded on the kit, had to be scratch built.

110211 Trim Actuators.jpg

The overall model has now received a coat of primer to catch any last minute repairs, and there were a few that I didn't see.

110211 Overall Primed.jpg

Here's the cowl detail which I forgot to fill. The horizontal panel line is actually a seam that should not be there. The engine access panels were L-shaped so the sloped line should meet the vertical one and there should be no other panel lines around the junction of these two. I'll post a pic later when this is finshed off.

110211 Nacelle to Touch Up.jpg

As I said before, the fit at the wing roots couldn't be better. The pic below shows this area with primer on. This is a simple glued joint with no filler, filing or sanding. Outstanding job here from Tamiya!

110211 Wing Root Primed.jpg

I hope to get a fair amount done this weekend, including the dreaded squiggles. Thanks for looking in.

Awesome Andy! This is comong along nicely, ca'nt wait to see more! I'm also contemplating building another more accurate one after seeing these mistakes you caught and I did'nt,thanks!

Thanks Trey. It's tough to be "accurate" with this bird as there's comparatively little info on it. Most of what I've learned here was from one book and surfing the net checking out what other modellers have done. I can't claim everything is 100% accurate - recall the debate at the biginning of this thread about the second FuG set which I think, in hindsight, I should not have put in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back