**** DONE: 1/48 Tamiya Heinkel He-219 WNr 290123 of 1/NJG 1 Nightfighter GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Yeah, let's go with that. I did have my choice of 3 different "silver" paints and went with the duller aluminum one so I guess you could say there was some thought behind it!

Thanks Vic.

Bit of progress on some bits and pieces to show you:

Pic 1. The finished propellers with blades in RLM 70, hubs in metallic gray and pitch mechanisms in aluminum. The spinners (not shown) have been painted white in preparation for masking a spiral. Although not shown as such in the kit profile, reference photos I've studied show a/c of the same unit and close to the same serial numbers as having the ubiquitous black/white spirals on the spinners.

Pic 2: The finished nose wheel strut and one of the main gear struts. None of the photos I studied revealed a brake line on the nose gear so I have not installed one. The brake lines on the main strut have been painted RLM 02 along with the rest of the strut except for the couplings which were simulated with a dab of white glue and painted silver after drying and the flex hoses which were black. A very light wash was applied at the hinge joints on all the legs and a mild smudging with black pastels finished things off.

Next time I should have some work on the landing lights and intakes to show.

Attachments

• 110201 Props.jpg
    110201 Props.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 128
  • 110203 Wheel Struts.jpg
    110203 Wheel Struts.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 171
Andy very nicely done ,the gear details really looking sharp. I was debating doing the spiral on my Uhu but chickened out :oops:

Bloody nice of you to say old chap!

Lots to show you today. Work on the air intakes, landing lights trailing edges and spinners.

First to see is the rather sad looking treatment of the intakes for the supercharger and leading edge de-icing heater as well as the plain looking landing lights.

110203 Intakes and Lights Before.jpg

I dressed up the intakes with a simulated grille cut from a corrugated door from an old Ju-52 model that was in my spares box. These will be painted black later and the vertical bars drybrushed to make them stand out. The molded landing lights were removed and holes were drilled and plugged with tapered pieces of stretched sprue. A small hole was drilled in the center of the sprue and then a larger drill was used to create the concave lens which was then painted silver. Once that was dry, a tiny bulb was fashioned from clear sprue held up to a candle to round the end. This was then cut off and glued into the hole to simulate the bulb. The one on the left turned out better than the right one.

110204 Intakes and Lights After.jpg

Next we have two pictures showing work on the wing trailing edges at the engine nacelle joint. The first pic below shows what the edge looks like before modification. As you can see it's quite thick so I set about filing and sanding the edges to make it look more realistic. The second pic shows the finished edge on the opposite side of the nacelle.

110204 Trailing edge before filing.jpg

110204 Trailing edge filed.jpg

Now we move to the spinners. As I said yesterday, the spinnners were painted white a while ago. Tamiya didn't include decals for the spirals so I had to make a mask and paint them on. Fortunately, I have a 1/48 Dora whose spinner is almost the same shape as those on my Uhu and whose decal sheet had 3 different styles of spiral decals. I scanned a copy of the decal sheet and cut out the spiral I wanted then taped it onto masking tape as a template (below pic).

110204 Spinner Mask Template.jpg

Next, I very carefully cut the tape along the edge of the template using a french curve and a brand new x-acto blade.

110204 Spinner Mask Cut.jpg

The mask was then wound around the spinner....

110204 Spinner Masked.jpg

...et, voila, the finished spinners after spraying with black. The below pic were taken immediately after removal of the masks. There's a little bit of touch up needed but I'm quite happy with the way these turned out.

110204 Spinner Done.jpg

That's it for today. The weekend will be spend doing lots of filing/sanding/rescribing to hide the seams and thin out the trailing edges. The target is to have the wings assembled to the fuselage by Sunday night but I may get out for a ski day that could delay this.

Thanks for looking in for your continued interest and comments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back