**** DONE: 1/48 Tamiya Heinkel He-219 WNr 290123 of 1/NJG 1 Nightfighter GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Just a couple of pics showing what's going on in the wheel wells. White stuff is card and rod and is added to the kit by me. There's lots more to go, including more gussets, hoses, tubes and likely replacement of the mediocre hydraulic tank molded to the base with a scratch built piece. Too bad about the clunky slots for the landing gear struts but there's not much I can do about those.

Attachments

• 110124 Wheel Well 1.jpg
    110124 Wheel Well 1.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 123
  • 110124 Wheel Well 2.jpg
    110124 Wheel Well 2.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 123
OK, here are a couple of progress shots. As usual, I just can't leave a bare looking wheel well as is and I then struggle with how much work to put into these things. Once again am leaning toward over-detailing but it's hard not to!

I'll start with the front wheel strut (pic 1). I wanted to add a little interest to this so I cut off the forks, drilled a hole, inserted a short piece of wire, then reconnected the forks in a turned position. You can just see the end of the wire where the forks join.

Pics 2 and 3 show continued work in the main gear wells. The first pic shows a few more stiffeners added. Also, the oil reservoir has been relocated from where the small patch of fill can now be seen to the correct location per available references. I also had to round it a bit. A hose has been installed where the tank was and copper wire struts have been added from the main gear boss to the rear of the well. Finally, some plastic bits representing fittings and copper wire hydraulic lines have begun to be added (pic 3). More hydrulic lines will go into this area before it will be ready for paint, hopefully before the end of the weekend.

Thanks for looking in.

Attachments

• 110128 Nose Wheel Strut.jpg
    110128 Nose Wheel Strut.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 132
  • 110127 Main Wheel Well.jpg
    110127 Main Wheel Well.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 139
  • 110128 Main Wheel Well.jpg
    110128 Main Wheel Well.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 132
Very nice work Andy. To bad they had to make those landing gear slots so big. Maybe they can be disguised somehow. A boot made of tissue paper and white glue or something. Might not be correct strictly speaking, but it would look better than those big boxes.

Thanks guys. Glenn, I agree about the slots. What I did on the back side under the struts was carve a groove in with my Dremel to hide the flat surface. I'll probably do the same on the other face that is visible. The good news is that these will be partly hidden when the complex main gear goes in.

Very impressive Uhu, makes me want to build another better one! Ca'nt wait to see the final product

Users who are viewing this thread

Back