**** DONE: 1/48 Tamiya Heinkel He-219 WNr 290123 of 1/NJG 1 Nightfighter GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Nice work Andy and I agree, it's hard trying to stop with the detail particularly when that little fellow in your head is screaming at you to do something.

Thanks Aaron, Vic.

Well I finally shut the little fellow in my head up and stopped with the details. The main gear wells are now done and a coat of primer has been sprayed on. The photo flash and closeups are brutal, revealing dust and debris I should have removed beforehand. I'll smooth all that those out before finish painting.

The following 5 pics don't need much description, other than that I simply continued adding copper wire to various doo-dads in a semi-fictitious manner until it looked like there was some function behind it all. The first pic shows the two wings side by side, revealing the interesting feature that the nacelles were identical, not symmetrical. This must have made for quicker production.

Tomorrow, I'll preshade with black in the shadow areas and get a coat of RLM 02 on and maybe get some of the details pained as well. More pictures then.

Thanks everyone for your comments and for your continued interest.

Attachments

• 110129 Wheel Well 1.jpg
    110129 Wheel Well 1.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 154
  • 110129 Wheel Well 2.jpg
    110129 Wheel Well 2.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 146
  • 110129 Wheel Well 3.jpg
    110129 Wheel Well 3.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 153
  • 110129 Wheel Well 4.jpg
    110129 Wheel Well 4.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 160
  • 110129 Wheel Well 5.jpg
    110129 Wheel Well 5.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 150
I thank you gentlemen. It's appreciated.

The wheel wells have been finish painted and grimed up. I'm not overly happy with the close-up shots but am pretty satisfied with the results when looked at "live". The close-ups reveal many imperfections that, when not magnified, look fine in real life. I keep having to remind myself this is 1/48 scale.

The first 4 pics below show the final results. Starting this morning with the primed pieces seen in the above post, I cleaned off as much of the debris as I reasonably could within the tight confines of the wells and then preshaded the ribs and shadow areas with black. Once that was dry, I set about airbrusing a coat of RLM 02, allowing the preshaded areas to show. After the RLM 02 was dry, I lightened a bit of it with white and went over the high points with a fine brush. Then came the hose and oil tank, painted with a rubber mix I use for tires and RLM 66, respectively. Next came the hydraulic lines, painted with Humbrol Aluminum, followed by an oily wash to darken the shadows. Finally, using the thin wash, I flicked the brush into the well to get the random oil and dirt stains that were inevitably present in this area.

110130 Wheel Well 1.jpg

110130 Wheel Well 2.jpg

110130 Wheel Well 3.jpg

110130 Wheel Well 4.jpg

Below, for comparison, is the plain well as it looked when I started this

110124 Wheel Well 1.jpg

With the main wells done, I started on getting the brake lines attached to the main gear struts (below). This is pretty tricky as this assembly is extremely delicate. I can't remember how many times I've broken the leg on the hydraulic cylinder in the upper left of the picture. The first time was when I cut it from the tree and I've repaired it at least 5 times since as it's the only thing that stops the assembly from twisting before it's secured in the well.

110130 Main Gear Strut.jpg

That's it for now. Back to work tomorrow so limited progress expected over the next few days. Thanks again for your compliments and interest.

Andy that looks great, pics wind up showing too much detail as we all know. That same part broke on me so much I waited for the final assembly before I fixed again lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back