1/72 Tupolev TB-3 of the Chinese (Gomindan) Air Hankow AB - Heavies Group Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

FINALLY I've started on the TB-3. Unlike most of the kits I've built, this ones' main wing is in approx 30 pieces. This is the central wing spar box. (I knew I should have studied engineering in school!)

Attachments

• tb-3 wing spar.JPG
    tb-3 wing spar.JPG
    43.4 KB · Views: 139
Got some work finished.

(1) I am using the Eduard Photo-etched parts for my build.

(2) Assembled the cockpit floors and walls and painted the base color. Next step is to add the seats, instrument panels controls etc etc.

(3) I prefer the look of the wheels with the spokes uncovered so the first step was to drill out the wheels. Fortunately a 5/8 drill bit was exactly the right size. First wheel is as it came in the kit, 2nd wheel is with the drilling process started, and the last wheel is drilled out.

(4) Since I did not trust using a drill, this had to be done by hand, usually with one hand hold and the other twisting the drill bit like a pin vice. Total of 8 wheel halves with each taking about 20 minutes. After being drilled out, the wheel had to be filled with putty.

(5) The last pic is one of the PE spokes sitting on one of the drilled out tires unattached and unpainted, just to show what it will eventually look like.

Next step is to finished up the cockpit - approx another 30 pieces.

Attachments

• TB-3 PE Parts.JPG
    TB-3 PE Parts.JPG
    25.8 KB · Views: 120
  • TB-3 Cockpit Support.JPG
    TB-3 Cockpit Support.JPG
    28.9 KB · Views: 111
  • TB-3 Wheels.JPG
    TB-3 Wheels.JPG
    29.1 KB · Views: 118
  • TB-3 Wheels 2.JPG
    TB-3 Wheels 2.JPG