**** DONE 1/48 Tamiya Me 262 A-2 Heavy Hitters Group Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Yep, you're right. I totally forgot there was one at the place I used to do some talks at, stuck in a shed at the back of the tank park. Pressed metal track links, with rubber blocks. So, dark grey with 'ground' coloured weathering for the blocks, and a brown over metal for the track links.

Thanks for looking Wayne. Do you have a link to the 2 O'clocks? I have pictures of other machines in KG 51 and they all seem unique in their camo application.

That would be great!

There's a nice profile of 9K+BH in Squadron Walk Around and some photos of an unidientified KG 51 bird there too. The codes can't bee seen though.

I like the squiggles that are supposedly on White Y and want to try that as my next air brushing challenge.

got these from the Mushroom yellow series Me 262, any good ?

Attachments

• Project3.jpg
    Project3.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 268
  • Project4.jpg
    Project4.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 195
  • Project5.jpg
    Project5.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 370
  • Project6.jpg
    Project6.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 438
KG 51 never had a (J) designation. They were always just KG 51. I wonder what evidence those profiles are based on? Photos of KG 51 Me 262's are not that common although a few exist.

Attachments

• me262A2a-1%20KG51.jpg
    me262A2a-1%20KG51.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:
It's hard to say Rochie. I've been researching the activities of KG 51 for the last two years and from the point of view of photographs it's pretty much as you would expect. During the "victory years" there's plenty, He III's, Ju 88's all proudly showing the 9K code and Edelweiss badge.

A very different story come 1943-44-45. For obvious reasons the photos become fewer. By the time KG 51 is equipped with the Me 410 even Wolfgang Dierich, the author of "Kampfgeschwader Edelweiss: The History Of A German Bomber Unit 1939 - 1945" is down to using a picture from the Messerschmitt instruction manual! In Dierich's book there are three pictures of KG 51 262's, none of which show to any great extent either the camouflage or markings. So where do these profiles come from?

An example of this is Me 410 9K + MP of 5./ KG 51. I've seen profiles of this aircraft on various websites.... but no one actually knows what it looked like. There are no photographs of it at all, every illustration is guess-work.

Thanks Rochie. White Y isn't there but the others are helpful. White B is from the same squadron but the camo is different than White Y apparently had.

The second one down, Red B, is backed up by photos but the above profile calls it up as an A-1a/Jabo whereas photo captions and other profiles designate it as an A-2a. The differences are minor, mainly 2 of the MK 108s were left off in the A-2a but retained on the A-1a.

Interesting camo on tyhe second red B. Not sure why the bomb racks aren't shown on some of the the others from the KGs

Last edited:
Do tell.. What's the story behind this machine Maximowitz?

Here's the 2 O'Clock shot of White Y that Wayne was probably talking about:

Attachments

• Me262_White_Y.jpg
    Me262_White_Y.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 162
Oh, ok. Are you sitting confortably? Then I'll begin.

From "Kampfgeschwader Edelweiss" by Wolfgang Dierich

The question that confronted a German soldier on May 8th, 1945, the day of the surrender,
not "What shall I do?" but "Where shall I go?" For Leutnant Wilhelm Batel there was only
one answer: "Home if I can; and if I can't to an airfield in British hands"

This is the story of his flight.

He took off from Zatec at 14:30 on May 8th in 9K + FB and headed straight for Lueneberg.
It was wonderful weather with excellent visabilty. He flew at about 10,000 ft. He remembers
his flight to this day, and not without reason. Overnight things had changed in a way that
he could not at the time envisage. The dangers of war were past. His aircraft was fully
armed, but to what end? The scene was completely unfamiliar - no flak, no fires from
air-raids, no steaming railway engines; on the airfields at Dresden, Leipzig and Magdeburg
the allied machines stood drawn up as if on parade. Just after 15:00 he reached the
Lueneburg airfield, which was obviously in British hands. His parents lived about twenty
miles away. His intention of buzzing them to show he was alive was frustrated by navigation
problems: he had learned the country round his home mainly on foot and not in a cockpit.
His Me 262 spoilt his feel for the ground, but he soon managed to adjust to this.

As he flew over the small estate he saw that in the village and on the main roads round it
there was heavy military traffic - jeeps and trucks. To land right by it would be stupid.
With this in mind he spotted a field about two miles away on the edge of a wood; there
were no troops or people around. At 15:28 he swept in for his last landing. He made a
perfect belly landing in the field of wheat and his aircraft came to rest about ten yards
from the edge of the wood. With his briefcase and his parachute he quickly got under cover.

He then started to walk towards his home; but quite near where he had landed, as he was
crossing a rise, he met a farmhand who did not recognise him. So he asked him the way to
somewhere on the other side of the spot where he had landed. This turned out to be a
good thing, for later the British embarked on a very intensive search and the information
the man passed kept him clear of this. About 16:30 he reached Weissen Berg which gave
him a clear view over his parents village, but not the part where they lived. So he lay
down in the sun and watched what was going on in the village and the roads around it.
When it started to get dark, using trees, hedges and fences for cover, he made his way
across the half mile or so of open country to the other end of the village and reached
his parents house without being spotted. The barking of his parent's Alsatians announced
his presence.

The reunion was a happy one but very subdued, for there were a lot of refugees living in
the house. After a few days Wilhelm Bartel came out of hiding and gave out that he had been
officially discharged.

If you are going home do it in style. In an Me 262. :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back