****DONE: 1/48 B-24D Liberator 'Fightin' Sam' Heavy Hitters Group Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

It just keeps getting better... I might have to try and free-hand a uncle sam on the jackets of the field crew in the kit. Am I biting off more then I can chew? :lol:

Tonights work on cockpit.. used oils and pastels for the weathering. Did a black wash in the creases for shadow.

Attachments

• PICT1232.JPG
    PICT1232.JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 137
  • PICT1236.JPG
    PICT1236.JPG
    62 KB · Views: 137
  • PICT1238.JPG
    PICT1238.JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 136
  • PICT1241.JPG
    PICT1241.JPG
    62.8 KB · Views: 136
That was next on the agenda.. wont bother with white, tan it is!

That's what I like about this forum. Everyone is so helpful with the research that goes into making a good model into a great model! Quick question. Are you going to make wear patterns in the floor where the crews feet would have worn the paint down to the primer and metal?

Great choice. I still have "Minirva" waiting in the wings but I have 2 B-17s I would like to finish first. If the guy making the masks for the "Spotted Cow" dosen't come through I might have to skip it for now and go right to "Minirva."

I have to ask, Are you ever going to finish the B-17?

Just for future reference... I went on a web search for info about aircraft interiors and found this website... books1

Seemed to have lots of good books but noticed it comes from Europe.

Here is one of the books I thought might be useful for future reference...

Attachments

• TB062730.jpg
    TB062730.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 139
H - Yes I airbrush interior green.

Night - I iwll be doing some pencil rubbing, still some tweaks on the cockpit to do today.

Dirk - Speaking of that B-17.. I just had to respray a wing section becuase it got foggy with the metalizer sealer, funny of you to bring it up.. everything else like the props and engines are done and waiting for the main body to be completed. The model has been a disaster and is just a mess but I will put her together and finish it.

Thanks andy!

Last edited:
I don't think it will max the P-40 build.. :lol:

The latest.. painted the seat belts, applied scuffs and marks with a pencil in various places, and a scratch-built curtain (old shorts and a piece of plywood nailed down with CA). Not sure on the accuracy of it, but hey I like it!

Attachments

• PICT1247.JPG
    PICT1247.JPG
    64.6 KB · Views: 145
  • PICT1245.JPG
    PICT1245.JPG
    63.6 KB · Views: 141
  • PICT1243.JPG
    PICT1243.JPG
    60.2 KB · Views: 135
  • PICT1248.JPG
    PICT1248.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 138
Great choice and equally great start Mags - I've always wanted to do a 1/48th B24 - think I'll get the 'J' when it's re-released. Co-incidentally, I'm part way through doing a painting of the 'Sky Scorpions' over Brunswick, Germany, in 1944.
Great stuff from Paul there too. Here's a couple more colour pics, the first being the full version of one already posted, showing Armament Officer Capt. John Driscoll in front of 'Sam', whilst the other is another aircraft of the 566th, 'Southern Queen', on finals at Hethel about April 1944. Might give some ideas of the overall colours and condition.( Both pics from Roger Freeman's 'The Mighty Eighth in Colour', original source John Driscoll and USAAF.)
Incidentally, it might be of interest to know that the old airfield at Hethel is the now the headquarters, and test facility, of Lotus Cars.

Attachments

• Bombers Build.jpg
    Bombers Build.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 142
  • Bombers Build 226.jpg
    Bombers Build 226.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 142

Users who are viewing this thread

Back