****DONE: 1/48 B-24D Liberator 'Fightin' Sam' Heavy Hitters Group Build (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks all.. and thanks for the pics terry.

Would you happen to know what kind of material the Hethel airfield strip was composed of?.. (dirt, concrete, slabs of concrete as it would help make the dio accurate.

Hethel was (is) the 'standard' heavy bomber layout, with three runways in the familiar 'A' formation, lengths being 2,000 yards x 50 yards main runway, and the other two at 1,400 x 50 yards each, all constructed from concrete and wood chippings. There were fifty loop -type (or 'spectacle') dispersal hard standing areas, in concrete slab. The airfield had three 'T2' hangars, which were corrugated metal clad, steel framed buildings, and the main accommodation was 'Temporary' class, which were 'Maycrete' and Nissen huts etc. The Control Tower was standard mid-war pattern, I think without a radio shack on the roof (I'll confirm this later).
I should have some maps/diagrams, and maybe photos of Hethel somewhere - I'll post them when I find them.

You mean 18' by 18'.. thats just how I roll.

Thanks terry, that info gives me some leeway in which section of the airfield I wish to portray. Will be waiting for your information..

They have the nose of this B-24 in Savanah Georgia at the Mighty Eight Air Force Museum. I was lucky enough to take a picture of it. Hope it helps.

Following this post with interest as I've just finished a 1/72 B24 (posted under "Triumph's Builds: Part 6") Screamin Mimi. Which also was a "Hethel" bird and thanks to the links in this posting I was able to find out about her. Sadly when modified to become a Carpetbagger and as a B-24 DSA, renamed The WORRY BIRD. She was lost when it hit a hill near the DZ, with the loss of most of the crew. But now not "lost" as remembered now when I look at my build.

Left side of fuselage.. burnt umber wash on ribing, pencil use for scratches and scuffs on bombs and bomb rack.

Did I mention the bomb doors will be open? :lol:

Attachments

• PICT1255.JPG
    PICT1255.JPG
    63.3 KB · Views: 156
  • PICT1256.JPG
    PICT1256.JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 141
  • PICT1257.JPG
    PICT1257.JPG
    61.5 KB · Views: 149
  • PICT1259.JPG