****DONE: 1/48 B-24D Liberator 'Fightin' Sam' Heavy Hitters Group Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Interesting Dan.. never though about that. I am the modeler and do pull the strings, keep tight eyes for the next set of bombs on the other side :)

Nice work ther Mags. You could do the inscription eerily futuristic - "From WW2 aircraft.net" perhaps??!!
Anyway, here's the info on Staion 114, Hethel.
Although the written specifications I have state that there were 50 loop-type dispersal pans, the drawing, based on the Ministry of Works and War Ministry plans (as those agencies were then), actually show a mix of loop and 'frying pan' dispersals sites, the latter being in the majority. The aerial photos, source unknown, shows the airfield as it was in 1944 and 1947 (vertical shot) . Note that, as with many (but not all) airfields of the period, the runways had a layer of tar applied over the concrete, in order to render them less conspicous, from the air, to possible enemy intruders. The other photo (2nd pic.) shows another airfield (Langar), and is included to show the shape of the loop - type dispersals more clearly. Note how these un-tarred runways really stand out, a great beacon from a distance!
The bare concrete areas at Hethel were a brown shade, due to the sand and spar mix used. and would be slightly darker in colour to that used in my Boston diorama, more of a 'Light Earth' colour. The approach tracks would normally be around 50 feet wide, as were the 'loop', and the circular pan of the 'frying pan' dispersals would be around 100 feet in diameter. If you need exact dimensions, I'll see if I can find them for this field. In 1/48th scale, if you model a 'loop' dispersal, each arm of the loop will be 15 to 16 inches wide and 30 inches long approximately........hope you've got a big shelf !!
Hope this helps a bit.

Attachments

• Buys 100.jpg
    Buys 100.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 115
  • Buys 102.jpg
    Buys 102.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 119
  • hethel_airfield%201944.jpg
    hethel_airfield%201944.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 117
  • 300px-Hethel-1947.jpg
    300px-Hethel-1947.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 117
Terry.. the rest of you, no questions please :lol:

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    30.5 KB · Views: 127
Just now got the chance to view this Mags - just spent 3 hours answering various messages! That's exactly the sort of thing to do, with the begining of the turn in the loop to give depth and perpective - even without the tractor. Now just play around with dimensions and angles. The track/loop dimensions don't have to be exactly to scale, but don't go too small, or it'll look all wrong. It sometimes helps for display, storage and certainly in transit, if the subjects are all kept within the environs of the base board, but this isn't essential. Don't forget, any figures or equipment included need to be doing something, not just posed ad hoc, or it'll all look confusing.
Looking forward to the results mate.

Thanks dirk, and yes terry I will play with the idea of how I want to display a still story. The only thing I got going for me is the accuracy of the Lib wings in my drawing. :lol::lol:

Thanks Heinz.. In the process of doing the other fuselage half. Mostly done except I have to clean up the bombs, the fit wasn't as great as the other side.

Here's whats doing with the other side, still got a bit to do.. :D

Attachments

• PICT1262.JPG
    PICT1262.JPG
    63.4 KB · Views: 123
  • PICT1263.JPG
    PICT1263.JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 132
  • PICT1264.JPG
    PICT1264.JPG
    62.1 KB · Views: 116
Going by your drawing, you'll just be fitting the one prop then?? :)

:lol::lol: Yes, I think the one prop will have sufficient power to make a liberator take off and land, without any problems..

H - For the wire I just used a pencil, stick it in each wire crease and trace like its kindergarten!

Thanks all, nice to know you're all enjoying the detail despite it being closed up soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back