DONE: 1/48 Revell P-61 Black Widow of Maj. Carrol C. "Snuffy" Smith Group Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

OK Mag, checked it out. The early versions were in matt black, but this soon changed to gloss back, due to the better 'concealment value' offered by a gloss finish. This is also in line with WW2 RAF trials of black paints for night bombers, which started off as a 'sooty' black, to matt black, to a semi-matt finish. The gloss finish had a better absorption effect than matt, making the aircraft less prone to detection, particularly in searhlight beams.
I wouldn't always trust box art!
Note that although it was a gloss finish, this soon dulled down, and wasn't, in service anyway, a highly polished gloss. Also, the P61 showed flaking of the paint along panel joins. Whether this was true of the example being modelled, can only be ascertained by photographic evidence of course.
Hope this helps mate.

Ok, Gloss it is! Luckily I have the Alclad gloss black which is very nice quality, I will just need to know when to stop spraying because black on black is tough to know if an areas covered.

I joined the fuselages and had some gaps and such. I used my "gap filler" cyanoacrylate glue along these areas then used my #11 blade to scrape the dry glue off then I sanded the area to a fine finish. All seam lines have a smooth finish so I am confident the gaps are filled but will do a spray test. I also need to use my micro-gloss to get rid of sanding scratches as gloss shows off errors as NMF's. Pics tonight hopefully, off to chores and homework. :D

Thanks all, its really motivating me to have more interest in this build!

Last edited:
Gloss black can be a pain to spray, onto any coloured background! Ask anyone who sprays cars for a living!
You could spray it matt black, which is more forgiving, then gloss coat it. Whichever route you decide upon, it's a good idea to give it a thin primer coat of mid grey first (60% to 75% grey). This will not only help you see where you're spraying, but it'll also help give an even finish. And of course, ensure you stir the black well before use - black paints, of any finish, are a sod for holding back on the pigment, and this must be thoroughly mixed into the carrier, otherwise, the finish could be patchy, and could remain 'sticky' for days - at least!

Good idea, I probably will do the primer and matte then gloss cote. I have the vallejo airbrush series black so a good shake and I should be fine.

Ok, here are my pics for the night. I went ahead and sprayed the whole fuselage black [no primer], and yes Airframes it did patch. So I tried a light pressure mist with a few coats and it looks pretty uniform. Along the seam there are some "chips" and I will most likely fix them as I want no seam! The micro-gloss covered my chaotic sanding quite well.. :D

Attachments

• DSC_0392.JPG
    DSC_0392.JPG
    116.1 KB · Views: 161
  • DSC_0394.JPG
    DSC_0394.JPG
    108.5 KB · Views: 161
  • DSC_0395.JPG
    DSC_0395.JPG
    101.2 KB · Views: 166
  • DSC_0396.JPG
    DSC_0396.JPG
    108 KB · Views: 159
  • DSC_0397.JPG
    DSC_0397.JPG
    104.2 KB · Views: 166
  • DSC_0399.JPG
    DSC_0399.JPG
    104.5 KB · Views: 161
  • DSC_0403.JPG
    DSC_0403.JPG
    107 KB · Views: 158
I have that same model sitting at home waiting for me to start on it Maglar. I did one yeas ago when I was still in Jr. High. I thought it turned out good for my experience level. Kept it on the desk in my room, until a aunt who was living with us at the time moved it off of the desk to use my typewriter, and somehow it got sat on! Was not happy. I plan on doing my new kit again when time and space permit.

Last edited:
Neat work Mag, well done. Those minor seams will fill with a bit of varnish, and should be OK when glossed. Looking forward to the next bit, and you've got me wanting to do a P61 now!

Thanks guys! The black is a pain as it has to be sprayed correctly or else it patches. Never knew I could inspire you Terry, miracles do happen! :lol::)

Thanks guys! The black is a pain as it has to be sprayed correctly or else it patches. Never knew I could inspire you Terry, miracles do happen! :lol::)

You guys have me worried about using black now as I only have aerosol cans available to me to paint my P-61. Any tips for a great looking finish?

No worries mate. Personally I would say an aerosol can will be nice as I once used one for black parts before I had an airbrush. You should do fine with it just be consistent with your sprays and coats. Make sure to put something over the plane so the dust and crud doesnt get on it, as black shows everything.. if you look at the pics you can probably see some dust as it collects easily in my room!

The room collects easily in my dust! Boy, is my place dusty; I can clean up, and within a day or two, there's more dust! It's a sod when I come to paint anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back