**** DONE: 1/48 Yak-1b Lilya Litviak, the VVS - Aircraft of the Aces GB. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks "boys"!!!!

More fillin and sandin.............
Is it just me? Sometimes I wonder what I done wrong cuz it just doesn't seem to fit together all that well.
I sailor on fixin it.

Attachments

• 11a filling sanding.jpg
    11a filling sanding.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 89
  • 11b filling sanding.jpg
    11b filling sanding.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 86
It's looking good so far Bill and no I don't think it is just you. My father built this kit a while back. He got so frustrated it ended up in the circular metal file. Steady on, your doing good work.

It's looking good so far Bill and no I don't think it is just you. My father built this kit a while back. He got so frustrated it ended up in the circular metal file. Steady on, your doing good work.

That's good to know, or is it?????? My Brewster seems to another test! But I will not give up on Lilya! I am finishing off all the filling and then will go for the wing root inlets.

It's you Bill.

Just kidding! Wayne said it right. They key is how much time you spend on attending to those issues. I think it will truly pay off in the end and you'll be glad you did it.

Unfortunately the modellr's path is covered with rose petals . Usually there are rose stems with prickles on the road. :lol:

Anyway, a nice job so far Bill. Keep working on.:)

Oh, it works. Just remember to smooth it with a wet finger or tools before it cures. Myself, for wing roots, I always like filling with "Green Stuff" and then smoothing and blending with acetone while it is still wet.

H3LL, that didn't work. As the package says, the colors are so alike it's difficult to see if it is mixed thoroughly or not, mine was more on the Not side. It never hardened. So I have cut it all off and will try again. I think these inlets are s pretty obvious part of the Look of the plane, so I do have to get them right as I can. There is a little fin from the bottom that looks like it directs sir into them as well.

More work.

A little trick for Milliput Bill, preferably the grey/yellow version, not the white (the latter for repairing crockery etc.)
Cut equal, small amounts off each 'stick'. Roll these into individual 'snakes', keeping them pliable and warm as you knead them. Once each 'snake' is soft and pliable, plait both 'snakes' together, then roll into a ball, mixing the colours together. Keep kneading, rolling, pressing, rolling etc, and the colours should blend and the material become softer. Then it's ready to use.
However, depending on ambient temperature, and the amount being used, it can take quite some time (in hours) to set hard.
I've only ever used the white version once, and found it seemed to take forever to harden, compared to the grey/yellow.
Hope this helps.

Thanks for the heads up on this one.
I am using a piece about the size of a pencil eraser.
What I did this time was to flatten them as thin as I could. Pressed them together and crushed them as I folded them. Did thid till my fingers were sore. Pressed the blob in place and using round rod PVC sticks, keeping them wet I shaped the intake. I've just left it to dry, won't be touching it for another 13 hours or so. I bl**dy well hope it works this time.

Keep at it Bill, doing a great job.

I've had no problem with they grey/yellow milliput, as suggested here I always wet my fingers and smooth it down into the gaps as much as possible

Well that seemed to work. It didn't set "rock hard" as advertised but nice and workable with the file. I just got some tiny steel dremmel tools, the itty bitty round one and ground out the hole easily.

Now............ the other side to match!!!!!!!!!! argh

Attachments

• 13a milli intake.jpg
    13a milli intake.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 104
  • 13b milli intake.jpg
    13b milli intake.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 104

Users who are viewing this thread

Back