***** DONE -Nakajima A6M2-N "Rufe" of the Yokohama Kokutai Group Build (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

ccheese

Member In Perpetuity
Jul 10, 2007
Virginia Beach, Va.
The is a 1/24th scale rubber powered flying model. Construction is light balsa covered with tissue called
silkspan.

Entering this as a level 2,
user name "ccheese"
Name: Charles
The kit is a Gullows flying scale [rubber powered] model in 1/24th scale. This will be built right out
of the box. I intend to scratch build a dolly for the plane to sit on.

Details of the "Rufe's" actions in combat are very sketchy. The Yokohama Kokutai was the
first unit to use them, and was transferred to Tulagi, in the Solomons. During the Battle of the Coral Sea,
F4F's from the USS Wasp just about destroyed their base, on 7 August 1942.

Better success attended the "Rufes" which fought in the later Aleutian Campaign.

During the final year of the war, when American heavy bombers and naval aircraft opened their great
attacks on the Japanese homeland, 'Rufes' of the Otsu Kokutai, based on Lake Biwa, were thrown into the
battle as interceptors in defence of Central Honshu but suffered very heavy losses. Total production
of 'Rufe' amounted to 327 before being halted in September 1943.

Charles

Attachments

• DSC_1474.JPG
    DSC_1474.JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 564
Last edited:
I've been waiting for this one! I'm really looking forward to watching the progress here Charles.
Just a couple of questions; I realise it's going to be 'Out of the Box', but will you be adding a 'scale' prop, or any other detai?
Just personal interest on that one.
The other question; not knowing that much about Japanese aircraft, I'm trying to figure out the size in 1/24th scale. I'm guessing about a 20 to 24 inch wingspan?l

Wingspan is 16.5 inches. I just started it tonight, and I see some things I do not like. The two bladed prop, and the
way the main float is attached to the fuselage. These will be modified. Can you believe two 3/16" spars hold the
main float to the fuselage ?? This will get changed to a solid piece of balsa, and the prop to a three bladed one.
Maybe some other things, along the way, too.

Charles

Flying model? Don't mean to be a Doubting Thomas but you already pointed out the frailty of this kit. I've built many of the Guillows, Sterling and Comet tissue covered rubber powered kits and the usual "flying" part of the offer is a one-way, one-time Kamikaze stunt into terra very-firma. This particular kit offers some very interesting anticipation in that regard. I suspect you are thinking static display?

Great to see you aboard charles, nice choice of kit to build, good to see some thing different being done

these pics are from Aero Detail No 7 A6m zero fighter hope they are of some use during your build

Attachments

• Project1.jpg
    Project1.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 742
  • Project1a.jpg
    Project1a.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 479
Last edited:
If anyone has any good pic's of the "dolly" I'd appreciate seeing them. I have seen both two and four wheel dollys
somewhere on the internet, but dont remember where. Also would like to see color photos, if anyone has them.
Thanks....

Charles

Havn't forgotten, Wayne. Maybe after this get's further along.

Here's where we stand at the end of the first day. Decided to build the fuselage and the main float at the same time.
Also, switched to normal cement from the Testor's "extra fast drying" type. Normal stuff holds better.

Charles

Attachments

• Start.JPG
    Start.JPG
    79.6 KB · Views: 441
Alright Mr. C!!!!! From a 1/24th stick tissue to a 1/144 Avenger! This is turning into a great GB! I was gonna send ya the Guillows Hellcat that I have but I see you are set!

Great isn't it? What we need now are more 'Rufes', in 1/32, 1/48, 1/72 and1/144 ! That would be something to see all lined up together!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back