***** DONE -Nakajima A6M2-N "Rufe" of the Yokohama Kokutai Group Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks to both Wojtek and Air frames for the info. I bought the paint for the Rufe with the top half green and the
bottom brown, then discovered the Yokohama Kokutai had all their aircraft the Japanese Navy Light Gray. The
hobby shop allowed me to exchange the paint, so now I have the light gray, yellow for wing leading edges and the
Imperial green for the cowl. Carving the prop is going to be time consuming. Next on the agenda is construction
of the wings.

Charles

Couple of pictures of prop from different angles on a A6m2-N

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    32.8 KB · Views: 119
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 140
Thanks, Paul. That will come in handy !!

Charles

Your welcome Charles, though and added twist you may find these intersting as well 60 kg anti submarine bombs on wing racks.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 132
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    23.5 KB · Views: 162
Paul: Do you know where those pic's were taken ???

Charles

The two with the bombs where taken off the Marshell Islands on 12 July 1943. As for the paint read this info. Props where bare metal polished with red strips near the tips.

Attachments

• 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    14.8 KB · Views: 108
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    132.1 KB · Views: 102
  • 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    75.1 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
These props diagrams are for JAAF aircraft but the natural metal with strips will be a good guide for you.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    42.5 KB · Views: 106
Great stuff Paul.THis can really come in handy.:D

Charles, if your Rufe is going to be light-grey the yellow for leading edges is no needed.As memory serves the kind of marking was introduced when the dark green colour appeared on upper surfaces of IJN planes.

Charles, if your Rufe is going to be light-grey the yellow for leading edges is no needed.As memory serves the kind of marking was introduced when the dark green colour appeared on upper surfaces of IJN planes.

Thanks guys and you are correct on the yellow leading edge. As for the white square in the article Im pretty sure I know what that is also. I will try and find some info on it though we will probably have to use a A6M2 stencil for it instead of a A6M2-N as I dont think Ive seen any pictures of a A6M2-N at least that you could read but will look.

Last edited:
Great info, Paul Wojtek. I've downloaded most of it into my computer. It will come in handy, thanks...

Charles

In the case of the Rufe, you are absolutely correct, Wojtek.

An additional note....It has come to light in recent times that the Zeroes aboard Shokaku for the Battle of Santa Cruz carried the yellow ID wing markings....BUT the aircraft were still painted in the overall Grey-Green or Olive grey colour.

Hi Charles,

This is what I think the white square is that they are talking about. Its up to you wheither you add it or not as they are for carrier aircraft. I have yet to find this marking on a A6M2-N. Im guessing in part these planes had to be painted alot more often due to such close contact with salt water. Just click on the link and enjoy!!!

Zero Fuselage Identification Stencil

Be aware the stencil is not actually 'white' (background) it is black on the fuselage colour, when the topside green was added, the green was painted around the stencil leaving the lower surface colour as the background.

Yes I agree with Wayne.Also many of these steclis could be overpainted when an aircraft was refresing.

I have several "profiles" of the Rufe that show the stencil on the left rear, altho I have not found any actual pic's of
the Rufe with the stencil on the airplane. Thanks again, Paul...

Charles

Source unknown.,,,

Attachments

• Rufe1a.jpg
    Rufe1a.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 133

Users who are viewing this thread

Back