**** DONE: No. 175 Squadron Hawker Typhoon Mk. 1B

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

4.30 for a jar of Model Masters I assume?

That's steep.....it's 3.30 in Maplewood.

Oh BTW I like Airfix's attention to close detail :lol:

Great start!!!

Dirk , there was no info about the pilot but what it did say was that the aircraft was fitted with a tempest style taiplanel which overlapped the sky fuselage band, later MN series airframes had the band moved forward to clear the larger tailplanes.
you might have noticed that already in the picture but i thought it was worth mentioning

Dirk , there was no info about the pilot but what it did say was that the aircraft was fitted with a tempest style taiplanel which overlapped the sky fuselage band, later MN series airframes had the band moved forward to clear the larger tailplanes.
you might have noticed that already in the picture but i thought it was worth mentioning

Thanks again Rochie

$4.30 is for the Poly scale not the Model Masters. When you need a certain color you do what you have to. Most of the time I get the MM. The thing I like about the Poly scale is you mix it with Distilled water rather than thinner. That means little to no fumes.

Nice start Dirk, and the pics really show the improvements in moulding technology between the 1950's and the late 1990's!
Karl is correct about the (slightly) larger Tempest tailplane (horizontal stab only, NOT the fin and rudder), and these MN serialled aircraft would also have the four bladed prop. In 1/72nd scale, the difference in chord between the two types of tailplanes is miniscule, and to be honest, not worth bothering about. If the kit has the four-bladed prop, then the tailplane is probably correct anyway.

Well Its time to start working on the Typhoon. I was thinking about the difference between the two kits again and I decided that the Academy interior was pretty lame so I broke out the tools and set to work.

I started by removing the interior detail.

IMG_2633.jpg

IMG_2634.jpg

Styrene rod to the rescue

IMG_2635.jpg

.020 Aircraft Safety wire was used to complete the frame work.

IMG_2636.jpg

IMG_2637.jpg

Repainted the interior

IMG_2638.jpg

IMG_2642.jpg

IMG_2643.jpg

IMG_2644.jpg

IMG_2646.jpg

IMG_2647.jpg

Till next time, thanks for taking the time to look at my work.

My three cents here.... The Airfix ( also Heller's ) kits are quite nice taking the fuselage shape into consideration. I have compared all of these fuselages to Typhoon drawings and all of them are too short.But the Academy one has a a problem with the horizontal fuselage datum additionally.The axis is broken at the cockpit wind shield area and the front part of the fuselage goes much down as a result.Also all fuselages have too short fins. These engine radiator cowlings are too flat at their bottoms. However the Academy one looks much better than these of the Airfix/Heller's ones. All of vertical stabilizers and elevators for all these kits are for the early Typhoon series.However the Airfix/Heller ones have the kind of exhaust pipes similar for the late series.But the Academy kit offers something we can call "mockery" fully. The wingspan of all models mentioned above seems to be incorrect.It is too small. The Academy/Airfix/Heller's ones offer tree-blade props and the Academy the four-blade one in addition.

Anyway a very nice job so far, Dirk. Keep it up. :D

Last edited:
Nice work Dirk. If it's not too late, the shoulder straps of the seat harness should be lower, anchored just at the top of the seat, and buff-coloured, and the head armour should be half-rounded across the top. Looking good though.

Nice work Dirk. If it's not too late, the shoulder straps of the seat harness should be lower, anchored just at the top of the seat, and buff-coloured, and the head armour should be half-rounded across the top. Looking good though.

Thanks for the kinds words guys

Terry

I built this using some photos emailed to me from a Typhoon walk around. It showed the belts attached to a bar on the armor plating but looking back on the photo the attaching point isn't molded on the plastic. I can fix that. After going over it repeatedly in my head I now understand the "Half round across the top." The Model was molded square. I may or may not try to fix that. It would have been a no brain-er if I didn't already install it in the aircraft. Buff belts? I'm American and when you say buff I think of some muscled bound guy that kicks sand on you at the beach. "That guy is "Buff'" or built. :D What color is buff?

Question, Should there be a head rest mounted to the armor plate?

Thanks for the feed back Terry

Sorry Dirk, forgot you Americans use different terms for colours etc! Buff is a light brown colour, not that far from the Dark Yellow used as the base colour on WW2 German tanks, as an example, similar to the colour of those business 'Manilla' mailing envelopes.
The armour head plate did not have a headrest, and was painted black on each side. The harness mounting bar was immediately above the seat, on the real thing being approximately two to three inches above the seat back at most. I'll find and post some pics and schematics if it'll help?

Sorry Dirk, forgot you Americans use different terms for colours etc! Buff is a light brown colour, not that far from the Dark Yellow used as the base colour on WW2 German tanks, as an example, similar to the colour of those business 'Manilla' mailing envelopes.

BINGO!! Got it. Thanks a lot

Users who are viewing this thread

Back