**** DONE: No. 175 Squadron Hawker Typhoon Mk. 1B (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Ok i made a trek out to the LHS and picked up the correct paint for the Typhoon.

IMG_2650.jpg

The question is are these colors something I can use on other RAF aircraft such as my Hurricane or maybe a Spitfire? If not then I'll just return them.

IMG_2651.jpg

Dirk, the 'Sea Grey Medium' I presume is 'Medium Sea Grey', which is the colour required for the underside of the Typhoon, and all RAF day fighters finished in the Temperate Scheme, that is, ETO, from late 1941. The Slate grey can be used for FAA aircraft, and is also a handy colour to have for mixing various 'weathered' shades of US Olive Drab. So, best to keep 'em both!

Hi guys. Its been a while since I posted anything on this build but here is some progress.

IMG_2795.jpg

IMG_2854.jpg

IMG_2855.jpg

Next I moved onto the wings. As I've come to expect with Academy models the detail is pretty decent but not quite enough. Here is the wing from the factory

IMG_2844.jpg

Here you can see where I opened the ejector ports for the guns

IMG_2845.jpg

Here is the center section of the wing. Again some really nice detail.

IMG_2851.jpg

Compaired again to the Airfix Typhoon it looks like they didn't even try. :oops:

IMG_2985.jpg

IMG_2852.jpg

IMG_2853.jpg

It felt good to get back to this kit. Thanks for looking

Nice work Dirk, it's looking good. Something about the Typhoon's brutish bulk that's really attractive.
And you'e right, Airfix didn't try. Back when that kit was first issued, detail as now found on such kits as the Academy Typhoon didn't exist, and couldn't be produced, in that scale, and maintain a reasonable selling price of two shillings (ten pence in todays money). That's how kits were back in the 1950's, just one step up from kits that had previously been roughly shaped chunks of balsa wood, with a plan and drawing on how to carve and shape the pieces to obtain a model of whatever type the kit represented. The advent of the injection moulded plastic model kit was the equivalent of something like the Internet versus a trip to the local library - a heck of a technological leap!

great work there dirk!

Time to apply some color

After the primer was applied we laid down the white for the invasion stripes. If you ask me nothing beats an aircraft with invasion stripes.

IMG_3027.jpg

I tried to lay the white down a little uneven to resemble being hand painted on.

IMG_3028.jpg

Protecting the stripes while Medium Sea Gray is applied

IMG_3029.jpg

Time for the Dark Sea Gray for the top

IMG_3038.jpg

Masking for the Dark Green camo

IMG_3044.jpg

Green applied

IMG_3045.jpg

That's all for now. Thanks for taking the time to look at my project

looking real good there dirk!

Users who are viewing this thread