**** DONE 1/48 Tamiya Me 262 A-2 Heavy Hitters Group Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

happy0034.gif

It's looking good Andy, and good luck with the paints, I've plenty of spare news print if you want it……..

:hotsun: :hotsun:

Finished sanding and filling the bottom and applied a coat of RLM 76 using Dwight's Windex recipe at about 18psi. Worked nice (see photos 1 and 2).

While that was drying, I worked on the landing gear. Photos 3 and 4 show the complete nose gear with brake line added and a bit of pastel chalk dust on the tires/wheel hub. Funny how the camera picks up small imperfections. I just noticed a little piece of the brake line still shows the copper colour so will need to touch up.

Working on main gear struts now and researching the paint scheme a bit more. The logic that White Y was originally painted in 74/75/76 scheme is sound and I'm tempted to do the RLM 81 squiggles over that. But almost all references I have point to KG 51 painting their machines in 81/82. I'll need to decide soon.

Attachments

• 091206 Underside Sprayed.jpg
    091206 Underside Sprayed.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 86
  • 091206 Wing sprayed close-up.jpg
    091206 Wing sprayed close-up.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 87
  • 091207 Nose Gear 1.jpg
    091207 Nose Gear 1.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 85
  • 091207 Nose Gear 2.jpg
    091207 Nose Gear 2.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 86
Progress the last couple of weeks has been spotty and frustrating.

The brake lines on the main gear are quite complex, with the main hydraulic line teeing off to the back and front of the wheels. There must have been an inner and outer brake. The outer line ran through the hollowed out axle from the tee in the back. To replicate this, I had to modify the kit strut (Photo 1) to add the hollow axle and lines. First, I added a thin slice of plastic hose to represent the end of the hub. Then I drilled a hole a bit into the axle but not all the way. I also drilled part way in from the front hub. Brake lines were then added to front and back with 26ga copper wire (Photo 2) . Note that the tires were also flattened.

Photo 3 shows the finished gear. I had also drilled out the lightening holes in the torque links. Funny how Tamiya has great details in many places but leaves out some highly visible things like this. It was at this point that I realized all of my detail work at the back of the wheel hub was going to be hidden by the wheel well door. Worse, all the stuff I added was going to interfere with this piece, so I had to hollow out the doors (Photo 4) and squash the brake lines so the gear doors would fit on.

The work that was going on in parallel was the seemingly endless work needed around the rear canopy to fuselage joint (Photo 5) which needed several passes of white glue and putty to get a smooth transition. I also had to grind down the fuselage here with my Dremel tool to blend in the canopy piece.

Good thing I had my little Kettenkrad to work on when I needed a break from the 262. Photo 6 shows some progress on this little gem.

On to painting this weekend. Pics tomorrow.

Attachments

• 091219 Main Gear.jpg
    091219 Main Gear.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 109
  • 091213 Brake Lines.jpg
    091213 Brake Lines.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 214
  • 091219 Wheel Door Hollow Out.jpg
    091219 Wheel Door Hollow Out.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 104
  • 091206 Main gear strut before.jpg
    091206 Main gear strut before.jpg