**** DONE 1/48 Tamiya Me 262 A-2 Heavy Hitters Group Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

A little more today. Got a bit of gluing out of the way and worked on the gun bay.

Photo 1 shows a bunch of bits clamped together and glued. The engine nacelles fit nicely together. The main tires have an incorrect tread pattern but I'm going to loose part of it anyway filing the seams. I'll make it look worn.... yeah that's it.

Photo 2 shows one of the rear nozzles and the odd redish metallic colour I mixed with silver, black and a dab of red. Close enough I think.

Photo 3 is the underside of the gun bay. I didn't realize until dry fitting this piece to the metal nose weight, that the recessed area forms the roof of the nose wheel well and is visible. As a result, there were 2 ejector pin marks that had to go but this was a tight spot. After allowing the putty to dry, I fabricated the sanding stick shown to the left in the picture out of sprue and glued on a piece of sandpaper and smoothed this area down. Worked nicely. There will be hydraulics and electrical wiring added in here later as well.

Photo 4 is the gun bay assembled and painted. I decided to leave in the upper electrical boxes even though the two cannons they serve were left off the A-2. The yellow patches are stickers with wiring schematics. These will be scrathed up a bit later to simulate lettering. Also to come will be wiring for the two cannons.

Attachments

• 091122 Misc Parts.jpg
    091122 Misc Parts.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 107
  • 091122 Nozzle.jpg
    091122 Nozzle.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 105
  • 091122 Nose Wheel Well ejector marks.jpg
    091122 Nose Wheel Well ejector marks.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 108
  • 091122 Gun Bay.jpg
    091122 Gun Bay.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 107
Looking real good. I like the amount of detail you are putting into this bird. It makes me jealous sometimes that you can't always do that amount of detail in 1/72. I know anything is possible but at some point you have to ask yourself if its worth it

Looking real good. I like the amount of detail you are putting into this bird. It makes me jealous sometimes that you can't always do that amount of detail in 1/72. I know anything is possible but at some point you have to ask yourself if its worth it

Actually, I ask that all the time even in 1/48. There are times I want to build just straight out of the box but when I see details missing that I know are there and that I can add, it just bugs me not to do it. But I definitely would go nuts in 1/72 trying to do this. That's why I exclusively do 1/48 stuff right now.

Thanks for the kind words everybody!

Maybe you guys discussed this already but what model 262 had 2 guns verse 4? i thought 4 was the standard armament.

The A-1a model was the fighter version of the 262 and had 4 cannons. The A-2a waas designed specifically as a fighter bomber and eliminated 2 of the guns to partly make up for the bomb load. The MK 108s weighed about 53 kg each. Some A-1a's were also fitted with bomb racks and the guns may or may not have been removed in the field.

The A-1a model was the fighter version of the 262 and had 4 cannons. The A-2a waas designed specifically as a fighter bomber and eliminated 2 of the guns to partly make up for the bomb load. The MK 108s weighed about 53 kg each. Some A-1a's were also fitted with bomb racks and the guns may or may not have been removed in the field.

Thanks for the update Crimea, I love the plane but admit I know very little about them.

Andy, this is great work, that just seems to get better, if that's possible.

With regards to the wire, I also strip down electric cable and if I can get my hands on it, the fine cable from old video machines or anything that's electronic, including discarded the boards that can have loads of useful scraps on them. In other words, nothing gets thrown, just in case.
:hotsun: :hotsun:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back