'farting about ' is simply mucking around, stuffing around, taking your time, taking more time than necessary, being more careful, using more time to do the job......and so on...
Hey Corey, was just looking at the finescale forum, they've a P-61 group build going on over there. I just looked through all 12 pages, there's some interesting stuff posted, and cool progress shots, if you don't want to trawl through the whole thread, there's finished builds on pages 2, 4, 7(really cool!), 8 (olive drab over neutral grey), 10, 11 (another OD/Grey). None of them are overly weathered. So no help with the paint-chipping.
A great find Keith, it seems no one wants to model Snuffy! After looking at the completed builds, 2 /3 planes didnt even weather and the last one was nice. Seems he had a scalpel attack on the props, I wish I could show of the radio gear in the nose but not having that plastic stick to hold it up is much better.. [One of the planes had zinc chromate exhaust, I laughed a little] Seems they all had problems with the wheels, theres a slight bend to the stick so the wheel is a bit slanted, I have this issue too. Im going to chip the bird now, apply decals, then do the exhaust and weather it. Still need to finish the fuel tanks, and do the canopy and touch up any messed up aread.
Here she is chipped, I took the blade to her and its a quick nice technique. There is no reference for snuffy so I took it on my own level, it might be a little over-chipped but I think it looks the damn part!
[I think I might go respray the booms, it seems to be too much back there]
I attached the remaining flaps and the entry ladder for the front cockpit. Still have to glue in the fuel tanks, and two other "flap" like objects and the bottom will be set. Props are painted too. Still have my greatest challenge, red walkway!